Tuesday 10 December 2013

What It's Like To Be A Twin

People often ask me "What's it like to be a twin?". I tell them it's awesome, which it is, but really, how do I know any different? It's like me asking them "What's it like to not be a twin?".

To some extent I can answer the question. There is nothing I won't do for my twin sister and I want her life to be as brilliant as you can imagine and I want this for always. I've no personal agendas with her, no need for anything in return and there's no competition. Note: this is only true now - you should have seen us when the latest Barbies came out, when we were kids!

For someone on a spiritual path this is rather handy, as ultimately, this is how Soul views us all (no separation). We all come from the same Source, everything we do sends ripples out to the world and has an affect on those around us. So, the aim is to realise this and to work together to raise the vibration, so we all experience a better way of living. The difficulty being that a false sense of duality and our Ego's often get in the way.



I'm not suggesting we all want horrid things to happen to others, but we must admit that we're often indifferent due to the fact that we're too bogged down in our own lives and goals, to help others, unless it's a matter of urgency.

So that's what it's like to be a twin and some of what can be learnt from it.

Now, let me tell you a funny story from Junior school: Me and my sister would swap on the stairs on the way to class and she'd go to my maths class and I'd go to her english class (she liked maths, I liked english). No-one spotted this. I've suffered for this very cunning error of judgement on our parts. Can I add up? Can I heck! That's not why I did so bad at my maths GCSE though, that's another story, for another time, or maybe not...!

In our younger years we were so connected to each other that during a rare fight, I hurt my sister and I felt the pain whilst she was pain-free. Served me right!


Me my twin and I, in a more amicable and pain-free moment

When I gave birth to my son, my sister had pains but managed to sleep, but she woke up at the exact time, that I actually gave birth, early in the morning, right down to the very minute. She just knew.

Over the years when something has upset my sister I've known without being near her or speaking to her. We are very tuned-in to what's happening in each others worlds.

As very small children we spoke to spirits, played with energy and our auras together. We even had our own language, which sadly, we don't remember much of, just that we had it.

In High School when we had to do a 'talk' to the class we did a joint one on what it's like to be a twin. We did an experiment where a member of the class wrote down a number and showed one of us it. The other twin guessed it. We got it right every time. To others this was pretty cool but to us this was normal.


Slightly more grown-up "us". I'll leave you to guess who is who...

The thing is, our greatest teachers are those around us. If you honestly think about someone you don't like and really examine what it is you don't like about them, you will find it is connected to something you either think about yourself or an issue about you, that you haven't dealt with yet. Try it on the quiet and if you're honest, you'll see what I mean. Conversely, if you think about something you admire in another, you'll find it is a quality you have developed quite well in yourself.

We are all mirrors, our souls reflect back at each other things we need to learn, to help us.


We are reflections of what is inside each other

Perhaps the greatest gift I've ever been given is the gift of being a twin and seeing our unity with others, first hand, from day one.

I'm so lucky to have another version of me, that is so obviously another version of me, to learn from. However, I mustn't forget that everyone is just another version of me, experiencing a different reality in the same place. This is true for all of us. Phew! That was a tongue-twister.

Have a bit of fun and think of a celebrity that gets on your nerves, get to the root of why and then compare it openly to yourself. See if you can find the lesson in there. I'm confident you will.

Let's celebrate those around us and what they can teach us, even if they are very irritating!

It goes without saying, this blog post is dedicated to my amazing twin sister, for the lessons she has taught me, for the bossiness that meant I got things done in the early years (when I otherwise wouldn't have), the endless support and love that never goes away and for doing my maths for me! Love you always and forever.

To all my brothers and sisters out there, have a fabulous day.  





No comments:

Post a Comment